Sounds good. I often wondered about using IntelliJ's "Generify" refactor, too, but haven't tried it.

On Dec 17, 2008, at 3:35 AM, Paul Cowan wrote:

Just for the record, to pick up this point of Grant's:

Grant Ingersoll wrote:
IIRC, we also agreed that we didn't feel any compelling reason to make a sweeping change to generics, but would likely just add them as we see 'em, unless of course someone wants to do a wholesale patch.

I'll go on record as saying that if doing a 'wholesale patch' is the easiest way, I'm more than happy to do so. As an experiment I tried using a combination of Eclipse's "infer generic type arguments" (which is brilliant, but not perfect) and manual changes (where Eclipse doesn't quite manage to nail it) and managed to get ~2000 'use of raw types' warnings throughout the Lucene trunk codebase down to ~1000 in the space of an hour or so.

There's a little bit of manual tidy-up involved but it's something I've done plenty of before (both internally and on external APIs, which obviously require more care) -- but if you want someone to do the gruntwork, well, just let me know when the 3.0-dev branch exists and is ready for commits and I'll set aside a day and give it a crack.

Cheers,

Paul