Grant Ingersoll wrote:

We've spent a lot of time up until now getting write functionality out of the Reader, and now we are going to add read functionality into the Writer?

Well... we're not really adding read functionality into IW; instead,
we are asking IW to open the reader for us, except the reader is
provided the SegmentInfos it should use from IW (instead of trying to
find the latest segments_N file in the Directory).

Ie, what IW.getReader returns is an otherwise normal
MultiSegmentReader.

The goal is to allow an IndexReader to access segments flushed but
not yet committed by IW.  These segments are normally "private" to IW,
in memory in its SegmentInfos instance.

And this is all just thinking-out-loud-brainstorming. There are still many
details to work through...

Mike