> > Though, won't this make loading the field cache more costly since
> > you'll iterate through many more terms?
>
> Or... do the full precision fields always order above all lower
> precision fields across all docs?

The highest precision terms have a shift value of 0. As the first char of
the encoded value is the shift, the terms are ordered by shift value first
and so the highest precision is coming first (because 0 is the smallest
shift).

> If so... maybe we could extend FieldCache's parser to allow it to
> stop-early?  Ie it'd get the TermEnum, iterate through all the full
> precision terms first, asking your parser to convert to long/int, and
> then when your parser sees the very first not-full-precision term, it
> tells FieldCache to stop.
>
> Would that work?

Yes, good idea! In this case it is really better, that the higher precision
terms come first. The question is how to implement that / extend the current
API.