> - contrib has always had a lower bar and stuff was committed under
> that lower bar - there should be no blanket promotion.
> - contrib items may have different dependencies... putting it all
> under the same source root can make a developers job harder
> - many contrib items are less related to lucene-java core indexing and
> searching... if there is no contrib, then they don't belong in the
> lucene-java project at all.
> - right now it's clear - core can't have dependencies on non-core
> classes.  If everything is stuck in the same source tree, that goes
> away.
Adding to this, afaik contribs have no java 1.4 restriction. If you
merge them into the core, you must either enforce it for contribs, or
lift it from the core. I think both variants may be a reason for
several heart attacks :)
One could argue that five years after 1.5 was released Lucene is going
to use it, so the point is no longer relevant. Sorry, 1.7 is just
behind the door.

--
Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (ear...@gmail.com)
ICQ: 104465785