Earwin Burrfoot wrote:
- contrib has always had a lower bar and stuff was committed under
that lower bar - there should be no blanket promotion.
- contrib items may have different dependencies... putting it all
under the same source root can make a developers job harder
- many contrib items are less related to lucene-java core indexing and
searching... if there is no contrib, then they don't belong in the
lucene-java project at all.
- right now it's clear - core can't have dependencies on non-core
classes.  If everything is stuck in the same source tree, that goes
away.
Adding to this, afaik contribs have no java 1.4 restriction. If you
merge them into the core, you must either enforce it for contribs, or
lift it from the core. I think both variants may be a reason for
several heart attacks :)
One could argue that five years after 1.5 was released Lucene is going
to use it, so the point is no longer relevant. Sorry, 1.7 is just
behind the door.

I think we are considering this for Lucene 3.0 (should be the release after next) which will allow Java 1.5.

- Mark