Earwin,

I did not experiment lately, but I'd like to add a general compressed
integer array to the basic types in an index, that would be compressed
on writing and decompressed on reading.

A first attempt is at LUCENE-1410, and one of the choices I had there
was whether or not to use NIO buffer methods on the index side.
I started there using these NIO buffer methods, but it seems that
the explicit byte arrays you're using here could be a good alternative.

I think my question boils down to whether or not these NIO buffers will
(in the end) get in the way of similar low level optimizations
you'd like to see applied here.

Regards,
Paul Elschot