>> Can we outline some requirements for the plugin API?
>>
>> Do we want to attach/detach them to IndexReader after it is created,
>> or only during construction?
>
> I think I'd lean towards only at construction.  Seems dangerous to
> allow swap in/out at some later time.
I have several points pro-runtime:
1. We have a lot of static factory methods, it's gonna be a problem
passing plugins everywhere on creation.
2. public <T extends IRP> void bindPlugin(Class<? super T> type, T
instance) is ..er.. typesafer than passing Map<Class, IRP> in
constructor.
3. Plugins support attachment/detachment and they don't need to know
exact reason they were attached/detached for - there should be no
difference between closing a reader and removing plugin from it.

The only danger is that you can remove/change some plugin in the midst
of indexReader operation. Well, bad for you, you jumped the rails and
got hit by a train.
Another possible issue is synchronization, but synced copy-on-write
proved itself countless times :)

--
Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (ear...@gmail.com)
ICQ: 104465785