On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Marvin Humphrey wrote:
>>
>> Yeesh, that's evil.  :(
>>
>> It will be sweet, sweet justice if one of your own projects gets infected
>> by
>> the kind of action-at-a-distance bug you're so blithely unconcerned about
>
> Heh. Thats a bit over the top. It is evil stuff, but its much less evil in
> this very contained instance than the general case. Much less.
>
> But still a bit evil with the potential to grow. I'm not anymore of a fan of
> passing a config to each class though. But I guess from a design point
> of view, it does feel a little less evil.

Agree.

But passing settings around doesn't solve the problem.  Example:  New
settings may be chosen by an application for an IndexSearcher that's
incompatible with a custom older Query/Weight/Scorer.  There's really
no getting around that problem.  I think the static helps solve
drop-in compat for a complete working application.  Good components
should only be checking the static, not setting it.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com