Exactly ! which is why I think we should relax the back-compat policy "a
bit".

And ... (I realize it's going to complicate things a bit) we could also
decide to have dot release for bug fixes, like we had 2.4.1. So let's say
when 3.4 comes (3-4 years from now :) ). In 3.6 we don't preserve any
back-compat. If there is a bug, we fix it on 3.6 and also on a 3.4.1 branch.
Those that just want to take the bug fixes can upgrade to 3.4.1. Those that
upgrade to 3.6 get the bug fixes and all the rest of the changes done, so
they should be ready to change their code.

I don't think we should maintain 3.4.1-like releases for too many releases
though. I.e., as soon as 3.6 is out, no bugs are fixed on the 3.4 branch,
just 3.6.