On May 21, 2009, at 7:17 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

 1) Default settings can change; we will always choose defaults based
    on "latest & greatest for new users".  This only affects "runtime
    behavior".  EG in 2.9, when sorting by field you won't get scores
    by default.  When we do this we should clearly document the
    change, and what settings one could use to get back to the old
    behavior, in CHANGES.txt.

I'd reverse 1 and 2 and note in 1 that the old behavior might be deprecated.

 2) An API, once released as deprecated, is fair game to be removed
    in the next minor release.

I presume you mean that it will be present for at least one full minor release. So, if at 3.1.5 a deprecation is introduced, then it won't be removed until 3.3 at the earliest, because 3.2 was the first minor release in which it appeared at the start. I don't think it is fair to expect users to get every last point release.

If so +1 from a user.

We still only make bug fixes on point releases, support the index file
format until the next major release -- those don't change.

Is it just the index file format? I would hope that the behavior of filters, analyzers and such would not change so as to invalidate an index.

-- DM