Of course consumability (good APIs) is important,  but rational people
can disagree when it comes to the specifics... many things come with
tradeoffs.

Even non-API changes have tradeoffs... the indexing improvements (err,
total rewrite) made that code *much* harder to understand and debug.
It's a net win since the indexing performance improvements were so
fantastic.

Deprecating an existing class that's been around for a while simply
for the purposes of slightly improving the naming.... may not be worth
it (it's destroying a little piece of the collective memory of all
developers who have used Lucene).

Avoiding having to specify the type of a sort... I'm skeptical about
the benefits vs potentially decreased flexibility and increased code
size and complexity - but it's all hypothetical at this point.

But on a positive note, Lucene 2.9 looks like it's suddenly
progressing fast enough that it's feasible to use it in Solr 1.4
(which I've lobbied for in Solr-land) - which seems like it would be a
win for both Lucene and Solr.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com