Mark Miller wrote:
Grant Ingersoll wrote:

On Jun 14, 2009, at 8:05 PM, Michael Busch wrote:

I'd be happy to discuss other API proposals that anybody brings up here, that have the same advantages and are more intuitive. We could also beef up the documentation and give a better example about how to convert a stream/filter from the old to the new API; a constructive suggestion that Uwe made at the ApacheCon.

More questions:

1. What about Highlighter and MoreLikeThis? They have not been converted. Also, what are they going to do if the attributes they need are not available? Caveat emptor? 2. Same for TermVectors. What if the user specifies with positions and offsets, but the analyzer doesn't produce them? Caveat emptor? (BTW, this is also true for the new omit TF stuff) 3. Also, what about the case where one might have attributes that are meant for downstream TokenFilters, but not necessarily for indexing? Offsets and type come to mind. Is it the case now that those attributes are not automatically added to the index? If they are ignored now, what if I want to add them? I admit, I'm having a hard time finding the code that specifically loops over the Attributes. I recall seeing it, but can no longer find it.

Also, can we add something like an AttributeTermQuery? Seems like it could work similar to the BoostingTermQuery.

I'm sure more will come to me.

-Grant
If you are using a CachingTokenFilter, and you do something like pass it to something that hasn't upgraded to the new API (say MemoryIndex#addField(String fieldName, TokenStream stream, float boost)) and you are trying to use the new API, you will get an exception when trying to read the tokens from the CachingTokenFilter a second time - obviously because the old API is cached rather than the new, and when you try and use the new, kak :( .

We can obviously fix anything internal, but not external.

Hmm - actually, even if we fix internal, if you are trying to use the old API, you will have the same issue in reverse ;)

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com