Sorry, I'm just catching up with my mailing list inbox, ...

Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> > I used the Luke tool from getopt.org and it worked flawlessly, optimizing
> > the index in just over 2 hours. Problem is that my search cannot use it, and
> > the error states Unknown Format Version errors, or just plain nothing
> > found.
>
> You should be careful when using Lucene Java to modify Lucene.Net
> indexes. I know for a fact that deflated data in Lucene Java is
> incompatible with the deflater implementation in .Net, so it's easy to
> create an incompatible index even when you use a supposedly compatible
> version of Lucene Java. Perhaps versions around 2.0 still worked ok, but
> no guarantees.

Can you please elaborate some more on this?  There was a known issue with pre
Lucene.Net 2.0.0 where in some instances the index is not compatible with Java
Lucene (sorry, I can't find the JIRA issue, but search for
"PRE_LUCENE_NET_2_0_0_COMPATIBLE" in Lucene.Net's code base for details).

Other than that, there should NOT be any issues using Java or .NET Lucene to
read / write / optimize the index.  The same warnings that apply to Java Lucene
when moving from version to version also applies to Lucene.Net.  This is a test
case that I always run as part of a port.  Also, a while back, (and I think
it's still in production) I helped write a solution in which the index is
accessed concurrently by a Java and .NET Lucene 2.1.

If you are aware of issues, please bring those to the Lucene.Net mailing list
for discussion.

Thanks.

-- George