mark these are similar to my concerns with us doing unicode 4.0 (suppl.
characters, etc) support in 3.1.
this is why i left a comment on LUCENE-1689, I'm pretty confused about what
approach we should take, because technically, fixing this will break things.

and again, I do believe we should have fixed everything to unicode 4.0 in
for Lucene 3.0, since its the unicode version of java 5
its too late for that now, but i definitely don't want to cause problems for
3.1, right now though, it looks unavoidable.