My snap impression is that moving lucene to a sub-tree
under SOLR would introduce some confusion in the minds
of new folks looking at the code. *We* all know that Lucene
stands by itself, but putting it under a solr makes that less
obvious. I claim that there would be questions like "so can
I just use Lucene without SOLR?".

That said, the questions about release management, branching,
tagging, etc. take complete precedence over minor
confusion when the answer is "just go to directory X and
checkout if you want Lucene only".

FWIW
Erick