I think the time has finally come!  Pending one issue (LUCENE-2354 --
Uwe), I think flex is ready to land.... I think the other issues with Fix
Version = Flex Branch can be moved to 3.1 after we land.

We still use the pre-flex APIs in a number of places... I think this
is actually good (so we continue to test the back-compat emulation
layer).  With time we can cut them over.

After flex, there are a number of fun things to explore.  EG, we need
to make attributes work well with codecs & indexing/searching (with
Multi/DirReader, serailize/unserialize, etc.); we need a BytesRef +
packed ints FieldCache StringIndex variant which should use much less
RAM in certain cases; we should build a fast core PForDelta codec;
more queries can cutover to operating directly on byte[] terms, etc.
But these can all come with time...

Thoughts/issues/objections?

Mike