On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 17:49, Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> wrong, it doesnt fix the analyzers problem.
> you need to reindex.
>
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Earwin Burrfoot <ear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 17:17, Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Seamless online upgrades have their place too... say you are upgrading
>> > one server at a time in a cluster.
>>
>> Nothing here that can't be solved with an upgrade tool. Down one
>> server, upgrade index, upgrade sofware, up.

Couldn't care less about analyzers. There's two kinds of breaks in
index compatibility - soft and hard ones.
Hard break is - your index structure changed, you're using a new
encoding for numeric fields, such kind of things.
Soft break is - you fixed a stemmer, so now 'some' words are stemmed
differently, such kind of things.

With hard break you have to do an offline reindex, and then switch
over. With soft breaks you can sometimes just enqueue all your
documents and do reindexation online - that breaks a small percentage
of your queries for a small period of time. Something you can bear, if
that saves you from doing manual labor.

I never claimed an index upgrade tool should fix your tokens, offsets
and whatnot.
It is power-user stuff that allows you to turn some hard breaks into
soft breaks, and then decide on your own how to handle the latter.

We also can hit some index format changes that deny any kind of
automatic conversion. Well, too sad. We'll just skip issuing index
upgrade tool on that release.

--
Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (ear...@gmail.com)
ICQ: 104465785