I seriously don't understand the fuss around index format back compat.
How many times is this changed such that it is too much to ask to keep
X support X-1?

I prefer to have ongoing segment merging but can live w/ a manual
converter tool. Thing is - I'll probably not be able to develop one
myself outside the scope of Lucene because I'll miss tons of API. So
having Lucene declare and adhere to it seems reasonable to me.

BTW Earwin, we can come up w/ a migrate() method on IW to accomplish
manual migration on the segments that are still on old versions.
That's not the point about whether optimize() is good or not. It is
the difference between telling the customer to run a 5-day migration
process, or a couple of hours. At the end of the day, the same
migration code will need to be written whether for the manual or
automatic case. And probably by the same developer which changed the
index format. It's the difference of when does it happen.

And I also think that a manual migration tool will need access to some
lower level API which is not exposed today, and will generally not
perform as well as online migration. But that's a side note...

Shai