Hello,
I think some compatibility breaks should really be accepted, otherwise
these requirements are going to kill the technological advancement:
the effort in backwards compatibility will grow and be more
timeconsuming and harder every day.

A mayor release won't happen every day, likely not even every year, so
it seems acceptable to have milestones defining compatibility
boundaries: you need to be able to "reset" the complexity curve
occasionally.

Backporting a feature would benefit from being merged in the correct
testsuite, and avoid the explosion of this matrix-like backwards
compatibility test suite. BTW the current testsuite is likely covering
all kinds of combinations which nobody is actually using or caring
about.

Also if I where to discover a nice improvement in an Analyzer, and you
where telling me that to contribute it I would have to face this
amount of complexity.. I would think twice before trying; honestly the
current requirements are scary.

+1

Sanne