set JAVA_HOME="c:\Program Files x(86)"
I thought the code above is the key point.

Try this instead:
set JAVA_HOME=c:\Program Files x(86)

Otherwise, it may work like this when executing if not "%JAVA_HOME%"
== "" goto gotHome

"%JAVA_HOME%" was stretched into ""c:\Program Files x(86)""
then blank string "" was encountered. Then C:\Program. Then Files. And
Files unexpected.

The dos shell isn't that intelligent like BASH.