On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 01:06:11PM -0500, Joi Ellis wrote:
> The JVM queries the X server for its font path.  It takes this path
> and visits each directory listed, opens the fonts.dir file, and parses it for
> TrueType fonts.  It doesn't just ask the X server for the fonts list, it
> pulls it directly from the host's own disk!

Arghhhh. That explains a lot. I sometime used to run Java applications with
display redirection via Linux and Solaris. Your observations explain a lot.

> I tried adding TrueType fonts to my linux installation's jre/lib/fonts
> but it ignored them.  I presumed this was because metrics information for
> those files is not present in font.properties.  But, since I could find NO
> documentation for the metrics content of this file, I never was able to get
> them working.

Just dumping the fonts into jre/lib/fonts was enough for me. Did you double
check file-permissions, etc.?

> Java's Fonts support for Unix/X basically sucks rocks.  The only reason it
> works as well as it does is because the default TrueType fonts are now
> provided with the JVM.

It has gotten much better with JDK1.2 and above. Under 1.1 I found no way to
turn on antialiasing and everything usually looked way more ugly than under
windows. Under 1.2 the glyphs are renderd really nice. However, kerning still
has major problems. Combinations like "fe" or "Te" look really, really ugly
with certain fonts. But I suppose that is an internal Java problem and not
really a Linux problem.

--
Andreas Micklei
IVISTAR Kommunikationssysteme AG