Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 8:48 0000
From: Kees Jan Koster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FreeBSD talk at ApacheCon
To: Edward Wolpert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Edward and others,

> Some of us are stuck in the States... :-)

A cookie from your own dough. ;-)

> Will there be a page on the 'net that has a
> transcript available?

Kristinn Thorleifsson from Sun talked about Java
on Linux, showing some benchmark results
comparing 1.2.2 and 1.3.0. He announced that Sun
are as committed to the Linux port as they are
to the Solaris and the Windows port. The three
ports will be released on the same date from now
on. We can expect a major release every twelve
to eighteen months.

Sun's relationship with Blackdown has changed
into one where Sun does the Linux port of the
Java core, and Blackdown concentrates on Java3D,
JMF and other such APIs.

Other Sun speakers were talking about JSP and
XML based B2B frameworks. There were
demonstrations of dreamweaver and Fort=E9 plugins
for JSP.

In their keynote sessions both Sun and IBM
pledged their loyalty and commitment to the open
source community.

Why Sun's keynote was at nine in the morning is
a complete mystery to me, and of course it
wasn't very full.

Personally, I applaud the attention open source
is getting from Sun and IBM, but I'm having
second thoughts about the eagerness that they
display. The candle is burning a little too
brightly, so to speak. It could just be my
suspicious nature, of course.

I liked BSDi's story on this much better. In the
BSDi booth, Stefan Sj=F6str=F6m spoke of striking a
balance between how much they copy and how much
they donate. That just sounds more sincere IMHO.

I spoke with one of our Japanese committers.
(Sorry to forget your name, I am terrible with
names) and he warned that there are bugs in the
international code of OpenMotif. This area may
need some special attention during the testing.

In the OpenBSD booth I asked around for interest
in a Java port. Wim van de Putte is going to
hook me up with the right people.

The NetBSD people are talking to Sun on their
own. Sun (Kristinn Thorleiffson's department, to
be precise) is looking to help them out too.
They will receive their own license, separate
from FreeBSD.

And no, the slides are not up for download. :)

Kees Jan