OK.

As some of you know I am fairly vocal WRT a reliable implementation of Java for
the Free Software community (something like GJC, Classpath, Kaffe).  I created
a poll to get feedback from the Java development community to help make it
obvious to SUN that we want Java to be Free Software/Open Source
(http://relativity.yi.org/java).

The results were excellent.  61.1% wanted Java to become Open Source and another
14.5% wanted SUN to push it through a standards commitee (even though they said
they will not do this).

I would like to think that this helped push SUN in the right direction with
their recent announcement at ApacheCon
(http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/10/25/1331227&mode=thread).

What I didn't do at the time was something more firm or revolutionary.
Something like a 'line in the sand' that people would not cross when developing
Java applications.  Something like a 'Vote of No Confidence' in SUNs control of
Java.

I was thinking that it would be a document that Internet users can sign and will
have something the following:

- ---------

I will stop using Java in X month(s) if:

    - Java is not released by SUN under an OSS license.

    - You do not void NDAs that you have asked Java developers to sign as part
      of the JCP and misc licensing.

    - You do not allow community members to participate in the JCP with any
      requirements.

If this does not happen within X timeframe I will move to another language
(python) or move to a Free alternative (GJC).

.... then it would say something like we realize that SUN can't talk open about
this because of current licensing restrictions and politics but want to ensure
that they are going in the right direction and that if they want our support
whey have to meet this deadline.

- ---------

I am not sure it is an awesome idea but is certainly 'an' idea. :)

I guess it would only matter if a large number of Java developers would sign it.

Kevin

- --
Kevin A. Burton ( [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] )

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme
excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu, 300 B.C.

quiche Qaddafi Cocaine Ft. Bragg domestic disruption radar Uzi plutonium genetic
CIA DES Treasury explosion class struggle kibo