[...]
> I haven't put up anything because I assumed commercial products were
> "right out".  We use perforce (www.perforce.com) for our configuration
> management.  It sits on top of RCS.

Not really, Perforce is a completely standalone, separate tool from RCS.
You might be confused because it uses the same file format for storing the
text files in the depot.

> As I said, it is a commercial product, but they do support a lot of
> platforms including linux.  We have servers running on both linux and
> solaris.

Perforce is way much better than CVS on literally all counts except for the
fact that Perforce isn't open source.  If you want more on this check out
their web site and the archives of the perforce users mailing list.

In terms of "free":

        * the various Perforce client programs are always free of charge

        * you can freely download a fully functional version of the server
        for any and all of the supported platforms.  The only "catch" is
        that it is limited to only two named users and two client
        workspaces.  This works great if you just need something for your
        personal hacking protection. :-)

        * If you're running an open source project, you can get a free
        server license for the project.

> There's supposedly an emacs mode for it, but I haven't used it yet.

It's okay and continues to improve.  There's also a GUI interface (for the
Winpuke users :-) and a new web-based interface.

ObJavaLinux:    jGuru uses Perforce running on Linux boxes and the
                www.jGuru.com web site is hosted on Linux boxes running
                Apache and Resin.

Hope this helps,
                John

P.S.    No, I don't work for Perforce -- I have no connection with them
        except as a user.

P.P.S.  Yes, I push Perforce because until somebody writes something which
        is better and open source, Perforce kicks ass over both the
        free and commercial competition.  I don't know about you, but I
        value my code enough to treat it right.  :-)

--
jGuru.com -- Unleash the Guru Within!
NoWebPatents.org -- Stop Patent Stupidity!