On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, G.P.Rastogi wrote:

> I downloaded Sun JDK Standard Edition v 1.3.0 for Linux and executed
> the shell script sh ./j2sdk-1_3_0-forte_ce-1_0_2-linux.sh. It extracted
> all the files but after going into the /usr/local/jdk1.3/bin directory,
> when I gave the command 'java', it did not execute.

To launch any command which is not on your PATH, you must provide a
path to the command.   Either of these will work:

/usr/local/jdk1.3/bin/java

cd /usr/local/jdk1.3/bin; ./java

Edit your .bash_profile file (in your home directory) and append
/usr/local/jdk1.3/bin to the PATH statement.  This will put the java
bin directory into your search path and you won't need to specify the
full path to the java command.

--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson