I believe the above is NOT possible, because of the requirement for X,
but just to be sure...

I don't have a problem running a Java Swing-less and AWT-less program at
boot time, ... but is there a way to have a Java Swing program,
therefore requiring X, to startup at boot time? ... and when the user (
the user that was 'su -' during startup to run the Java Swing program )
logs-in on X , he/she can see and interact with that Swing program that
was started at boot?