On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Joseph Shraibman wrote:

> Scott Murray wrote:
> >
> > Nowadays the buffers are purely used for buffering access to the block
> > devices (e.g. disks).  Pretty much everything else is now cached in the
> > page cache.
>
> That still doesn't answer my question.  If everything is treated as a
> file, what is the difference between buffer and cache?

Oops, that really wasn't clear, was it.  More accurately, filesystem
block meta-data (e.g. inodes) is cached in the buffer cache, and the
logical file pages are cached in the page cache.  Google found a
reasonably good explanation (but for Solaris) with some diagrams at:
http://sunsite.uakom.sk/sunworldonline/swol-07-1999/swol-07-filesystem3.html

Scott