On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Barnet Wagman wrote:

> > java version "1.3.0rc1"
> > Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.0rc1-b17)
> > Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.0rc1-b17, mixed mode)

Why not use the final build that's available?

> > On top of all this I downloaded the "fcs" version and RH's rpm won't
> > install it because it thinks the "rc1" version is newer. Frustrating...

Sun is very much a novice at building Linux RPMs.

rpm --force is your friend...

> I've given up using rpms for Java precisely for this reason.  With tarball
> installations, its easy to have multiple versions on one system (I have at
> least four at present).

rpm does have a relocate facility that lets you stuff the contents of
an rpm in a custom location.  I haven't ever needed to use it, though.

--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson