    Sean> Can someone help me get Java 2 to run on a Debian 2.1 system
    Sean> installed onto a Dell pentium II 350 Mhz processor. I will
    Sean> go into details of the steps I took and the results I got.

The easiest way is to install our j2sdk1.3 .deb package.  If you
want to use apt to install it, you have to add a line of the form
"deb ftp://<mirror>/<path-to-java-directory>/debian <dist> non-free"
to /etc/apt/sources.list.  <dist> should be potato or woody.

[...]

    Sean> /usr/local/sun/jdk1.3/bin/java: /bin/realpath: No such
    Sean> file or directory
    Sean> /usr/local/sun/jdk1.3/bin/java: /bin/realpath: No such
    Sean> file or directory
    Sean> grep: /lib/jvm.cfg: No such file or directory
    Sean> grep: /lib/jvm.cfg: No such file or directory
    Sean> /usr/local/sun/jdk1.3/bin/java: /bin/realpath: No such
    Sean> file or directory
    Sean> java was not found in /bin/i386/native_threads/java
    Sean> DEBIANSEAN:~#

Looks like your glibc is too old, you need glibc-2.1.3 or newer.  The
j2sdk1.3 .deb package will take care of this and other dependencies.

        Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux.html