On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Nathan Meyers wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 03:06:16PM +0800, Chao Liu wrote:
> > Is the asimov is your computer name in the net. But after I use export
>DISPLAY=mycomputername:0.0
> > error:
> > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
>
> Are you running an X server? Are you running the Java program on the
> same computer? If not, you may need to open up access to the X display:
> you can grant anyone access to your display by running "xhost +" on the
> machine running X.

This isn't the error one gets when it's an access restriction issue
solvable with xhosts.  This is a basic communication error message.

I've often seen this error happen when the display machine was out of
network sockets.  Usually that's when someone is reduced to running
Exceed or some other X server software on windows using an IP stack
with a limited number of sockets.

The error I get which xhost can fix looks like this:

Xlib: connection to "joi:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Error: Can't open display: joi:0.0
(Logged in with a different username, but X server was launched
by another user.)

The error I get when the remote machine is known but not running
an X server process looks like this:

Error: Can't open display: joint:0.0
(joint is a VMWare virtual machine running NT.)

The error I get when the display host name is unusable looks like this:

 _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't get address for foobar
Error: Can't open display: foobar:0.0
(foobar is a nonexistant host.)

I'm not going to break my DNS to show you what that one looks like. ;)

--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson