On Fri, 18 May 2001, Ellen Spertus wrote:

> Sometimes, when I create a process with Runtime.exec, waitFor never
> returns, even though I'm clearing the error and output streams.  Here is
> my code, with important lines starred:

[snip]
>         String[] commandArray = {"/bin/sh", "-c", command};
>
> My log file reads:
>       About to call exec
>       /bin/sh -c lynx -dump -force_html
>       /home/systers/javamlm/archive/94.text-html >
>       /home/systers/javamlm/archive/94.text-plain
>       Done with ErrorStream
>       Done with InputStream
>       About to call waitFor

When I invoke lynx the say way the code does, lynx goes into full-screen
mode. It isn't writing to stdout via the shell's redirect, it' using
ncurses to manipulate my screen.

When I invoke lynx without the shell, it writes to stdout as expected.

Lynx isn't a shell script, you can invoke it directly in the exec() call.

--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson