On Fri, 18 May 2001, Ellen Spertus wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> >Lynx isn't a shell script, you can invoke it directly in the exec() call.
>
> The reason I don't invoke lynx directly is because I am redirecting its
> output to a file, which of course requires a shell.  I think that was
> obscured by some bad line breaks in my original message.  Let's see if this
> is any clearer:
>
> /bin/sh -c lynx -dump -force_html 94.text-html > 94.text-plain

Yes, I noticed the redirection.  Have you actually LOOKED at 94.text-plain
when you invoke this command string manually?  Lynx is going into ncurses
mode because it's confused.

  lynx -dump -force_html 94.text-html > 94.text-plain

does exactly what you want.

  /bin/sh -c lynx -dump -force_html 94.text-html > 94.text-plain

does not.
--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson