Hi guys,

We are currently trying to create a small linux
distribution (with as small memory footprint as
possible) to run java apps.
So we've compiled a cut-down kernel and we made a
small VM (I've cut a Blackdown JDK1.1.8 to about
3.5MB - all this will stay on a less than 8MB
flash)...
The main problem is the glibc - we intend to use
glibc-2.1.3 (most VMs work with this or later
version)...
So we managed to make a 1.3MB libc.so but its
still much too big...

So my question is: What parts of the glibc can we
strip down - what does the Blackdown 1.1.8 VM need
from the standard glibc?

Any help will be appreciated greatly...

Hint: We aim to run java based software (that
needs mostly java.net, java.math etc., but no awt,
imaging,sound,locales etc. ) on 8MB RAM system
with Linux/Blackdown 1.1.8