Christopher Smith wrote:

> On 31 May 2001 06:45:08 +1000, Jesus M. Salvo Jr. wrote:
> > > 4) Use JNI to use Linux's various asynch I/O API's.
> > Option 4) is how BEA WebLogic Server does it, ( I think ). They have this
> > libmuxer.so ( which is also available for Solaris -- dont know why when JVM
> > for Solaris makes use of solaris native threads ) which enables native I/O,
> > or the so-called "performance pack".
>
> Yes, many of the various application servers employ various strategies
> for this. Unfortunately I am unaware of any of them who have taken the
> time to do this for Linux.
>
> > Speaking of 4), does anyway have a ready-made ( cut&paste ) C code that one
> > can compile into a shared library and have all I/O made through this library
> > via JNI?
>
> I'll be demoing a library that does this with SGI's KAIO patch at the
> presentation (presuming I can iron out this nasty sigtimedwait problem).
>
> > And how does JDK 1.4 affect the performance on Linux, given that 1.4 was
> > better I/O support overall, in particular non-blocking I/O.
>
> We're benchmarking that right now, but it doesn't take a genius to
> realize the impact is pretty spectacular. All you need to do is compare
> Apache's performance with polling I/O based web servers on Linux to get
> a good idea of the potential performance gains.
>
> The NIO API is a little annoying to me though in that it's low enough
> level that it exposing the polling approach to I/O. With the overhead of
> JNI, it's much nicer to use an asynch I/O approach for most Java
> applications.
>
> --Chris

Chris!

I missed your talk at JavaOne, and not just because it was so early in
the morning. ;-)

I missed the entire conference because I had some important things to
take care of, i.e. work!

Are you going to post slides from your presentation anywhere?  Can you
provide a short summary of the talk and questions here or a link to it?

Thanks,

Ed Phillips

In fact, anyone who attended or went to any Java/Linux talks or BoFs at
JavaOne; it would
be interesting to hear on the list from you: short summaries,
interesting questions, new directions....