On 14 Jun 2001, Jesse wrote:

> I've been handed the responsibility of designing a new automatic build
> process. Currently we use manually edited Makefiles for all or our C,
> C++ & java code. We will be scrapping almost all of the C & C++, so that
> it will be 90% java. I would like to make it easy on the other
> developers, so that changes can be easily updated.
>
> Any ideas on the best tools for this. I would like to have dependencies
> built in so that incremental builds only recompile the code that has
> changed. I will use Imake for the C & C++ so that is is portable (Win32,
> Linux & Solaris) but I don't need to portability for the java stuff.

It sounds like you need Ant.  Find it on the Apache website.

--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson