I started a project at home for a complete clean-room implementation of
javacomm (from the api's) including the javax.comm classes. So far I
have basic serial IO working without event notifications (callbacks).
It's been tested successfully on IBM, Sun and Blackdown JVM's. It's one
simple makefile and a few classes, four .h and one .c. The JNI is all
straight C so it should be easily portable to any gnu-linux system.

I wrote this primarily because of problems I encountered with IBM's
javacomm implementation when talking to devices that are very sensitive
to latency (Philips Pronto remote). But I also had a desire to
contribute it to the classpath and gcj projects when it was complete.

If you're interested in the code, let me know.

stewart