Sun's Java Web site recently posted its own spin on the Microsoft/Open
Source debate at the O'Reilly Open Source conference. Among the more
provocative assertions from Sun's "Open Source Diva", Danese Cooper,
is this:

    Sun doesn't claim Sun's Community Source Licensing (SCSL) is open
    source, because we understand that it isn't. Our choices for Java
    technology were made to protect a technology from some well-known
    industry predators, and we have stated that we can see a day when
    it will be sufficiently unprofitable to write incompatible clones
    of Java technology. When that happens, we will be able to make it
    fully open source. We will open Java technology when it's possible
    for us to do so. We've said that before, and we're saying it now.

Nathan Meyers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]