Subject: Rules for names of text encoding schemes?

Hi,

I'm working with text encoding and retrieved a list of encoding
schemes from Sun's web site.  While all of the names that I
retrieve work, meaning that I can instantiate either an
OutputStreamWriter or an InputStreamWriter with them, the name
of the default encoding scheme on my system that is returned
by System.getProperty("file.encoding") differs from that on
Sun's list.  The system call returns "ISO-8859-1" whereas the
name on the list is "ISO8859_1".  The difference makes life
tough for me, and there are two things that might solve the
problem.

1) Is there a standard naming scheme that all JVM's use to
   return names of encoding schemes?

   Under this option, I just need to change everything from Sun's
   page to conform to the standard.

2) Is there a standard pattern that names must match to be
   acceptable? For example, are all dashes optional or
   representable by underscores?

   Under this option, I can do some parsing of names to come up
   with least common denominators.

Thanks,

Dick