Joseph Shraibman wrote:
Hui Huang wrote:

Veda N Ponnusamy wrote:

Hi,
We set the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 and the hang goes away. But the application

 is running at 60% speed !!

Interesting. You could try LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 (the floating
stack version of LinuxThreads), it's generally faster than 2.2.5.

 Do you know any patches anywhere for this problem ???

Unfortunately, no, Redhat did not release the patch. RH9 is the
only platform we've seen this problem. We didn't stress test
Fedora Core, but AS-3 works Ok.

So you do have code that can reproduce this problem? It would help a lot if I could get it.

No special test case. We run a tomcat server and have clients to talk to it repetitively. I tried to create a small testcase when I reported the bug, but it wasn't easy.

thanks,
-hui

P.S. Next time when you see the hang, please try the gdb trick
to id the bug. If the process still hangs after attach-detach
with gdb, it's something else.

Would strace -p <pid> work as well?

From: http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=868

One interesting side note is that if you strace the right process, the system
will recover. However, we have still had database corruption when we did this.

It looks like the same issue. IIRC, the problem happened when one thread sleeps on pthread_cond_wait, and another thread in pthread_cond_{signal,broadcast} to wake up the first thread, sometimes kernel failed to change the first thread back to running.

Both gdb and strace use the ptrace interface, when PTRACE_DETACH
happens, kernel will wake up the process/thread no matter what its
previous state is. When gdb is detached from a process, it will
PTRACE_DETACH every thread (including the one waiting in cond_wait),
that's why the gdb trick can break the hang. Another way to break
the hang is to send a signal to the "right" process/thread.

regards,
-hui