Zachariah Baum writes:

I have mozilla-firefox 1.0 and j2sdk1.4.2 installed on my amd64 machine and copied "libjavaplugin_oji.so" into my ~/.mozilla/plugins directory.

Upon starting firefox, and entering "about:plugins" into the location, you can see that it loaded the plugin successfully, but if I try and run any applet, the browser immediately crashes.

Has anyone had any luck running applets in firefox on amd64 machines?

No, ditto for Mozilla. about:plugins does work for me in Mozilla; however trying to run an applet inevitably crashes the browser, sooner or later. Some applets work; some never work. Some work randomly.