Max Kington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Does anyone know the structure of the IO stacks on blackdown on Java
> HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build Blackdown-1.4.2-01, mixed mode)
> running on Redhat ES4 (AMD_64)?
>
> I'm testing a high throughput application and occasionally the
> transaction journal seems to get out of sync, and I'm wondering if
> something is happening asynchronously and it's screwing my ordering
> up.  Also, I had heard of some VM vendors re-building their bio
> stacks on top of their nio stacks,

At least in Sun's and Blackdown's VMs, blocking IO is really blocking.

> has anyone used nio on Blackdown and what results have you received?

I would be interested in such reports too.

It works well and the poll based selector scales like expected in my
tests.
The Blackdown VM also has an epoll based selector
(-Djava.nio.use_epoll=true) which scales even better than poll based
implementation.

        Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team
http://blog.blackdown.de/