Alf,

> I am attempting to create a java applet and I get:-
> java.lang.SecurityException: Prohibited package name: java
>   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

> where do I look to fix this?

1. Locate your source in a directory where your IDE (e.g. netbeans) can
   find it.  (This will replace "Unknown Source" with classes and/or line
   numbers.)
2. Change your code to use a name different than 'java' at
   java.lang.Thread.run(source indicated)

<AFAIK>
java, javax, and sun are among the package names reserved for the virtual
machine.  In order to prevent a trojan horse attack, users cannot add or
detract from these namespaces.
</AFAIK>

Hopefully helpful,
--