Dr. Robert J. Meier wrote:
> Alf,
>

>> I am attempting to create a java applet and I get:-
>> java.lang.SecurityException: Prohibited package name: java
>>   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
>>

>> where do I look to fix this?
>>

> 1. Locate your source in a directory where your IDE (e.g. netbeans) can
>    find it.  (This will replace "Unknown Source" with classes and/or line
>    numbers.)
> 2. Change your code to use a name different than 'java' at
>    java.lang.Thread.run(source indicated)
>
> <AFAIK>
> java, javax, and sun are among the package names reserved for the virtual
> machine.  In order to prevent a trojan horse attack, users cannot add or
> detract from these namespaces.
> </AFAIK>
>
> Hopefully helpful,

I fixed this by moving the class to the same directory as the shtml.
Surely this is wrong and I should be able to place the class in a
subdirectory below where the shtml lives?
If interested look at http://www.stockton.co.za/JavaSlot.shtml

--
Regards,
Alf Stockton            www.stockton.co.za

Fine day to work off excess energy.  Steal something heavy.
My email disclaimer is available at www.stockton.co.za/disclaimer.html