From: Robert Meier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 12:27 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [QUESTION] Howto access parallel port

java writers,

I am a java newbie.

How can one access the parallel port of a java laptop?
How can one access /dev/parport0?
How is hardware represented in java?
  By standard classes?
    Which ones?
  By gateway to an executable(?) underlying the JVM?
    What is the protocol/class/...?
Can you (dis)recommend books/urls/... for learning hardware access with
java?

My goal is to add a graphical user interface to some
  existing command-line c++ diagnostic software, or preferrably
port the diagnostic software to java.

TIA,
--
Dr. Robert J. Meier