Oh, a lot of questions :-)

If you have enough serial ports you can connect them via a crossover cable.

BTW: There is a driver for windows to emulate 2 com interfaces connected ba
a crossover cable:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/com0com/
SourceForge.net: Null-modem emulator
(I never tried it)

Why are you interested in VerifyError?
The java verifyer checks all classes while they are loaded (checksum and
more).
Only system classes are noch checked. System classes ar classes from some
special directories under the java installation directory.
I don't know the option -noverify but it sounds like this.

Here are my notes when I installed rxtx on a linux machine about one year
ago:
   # /usr/local/java/bin/jar -xvf rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2.zip
   # cp rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2/RXTXcomm.jar /usr/local/java/jre/lib/ext/
   # cp rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2/Linux/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/*
/usr/local/java/jre/lib/i386
If you have different java versions installed be sure to use the correct
version!

I am using netbeans 6 (daily build) from
http://www.netbeans.info/downloads/dev.php
Development Downloads

You should add the directory "Src" to your source path if the layout is
Src/directorys/for/each/part/of/the/package/SomeClass.java

This should work without problems.

My layout of java-versions on the linux machine is (as there are installed
some 10 versions):

/usr/local/java_sw/sun/<unpacked jdk>
                   ibm/...
                   blackdown/...
And one link
/usr/local/java -> /usr/local/java_sw/sun/jdk1.6.0
With /usr/local/java/bin in $PATH

But $JAVA_HOME should point directly to the preferred version.

Good Luck and greetings from Austria
 Peter