Michael and Nick-

I was able to get ApacheJSSI up fairly easily.  Here is a brief outline and
checklist:

1) Get the ApacheJSSI distribution for your platform.
2) gzip -d -c ApacheJSSI* | tar xvf -
3) cd ApacheJSSI*/src/java
4) make

** At this point, you should have <dist-dir>/src/java/ApacheJSSI.jar **
** If not, you have compile problems - get this working first **

<optional>
If you're like my company, things in a dist directory tend to get blown away
a lot.  At this point, moving this .jar file to a better directory would be
a good idea - I put mine in /usr/local/jserv/util/ with my JSP and Cocoon
jar files, among others
</optional>

5) In jserv.conf (or httpd.conf) uncomment the line that reads:
ApJServAction .jhtml /servlets/org.apache.servlet.ssi.SSI

(This assumes you have a /servlets directory which maps to some zone - if
not replace as it applicable. In my setup, I have a zone called jedi which
is mapped to by /servlets, with a props file called jedi.properties (my
box's name is jedi.algx.net).)

6) Add the jar file to your repository for the zone above:
jedi.properties:
repositories=<cocoon, jsp, etc>,/usr/local/jserv/util/ApacheJSSI.jar

<optional>
7) If you want SSI support (server-side includes), also add this to your
props file-
jedi.properties:
servlet.org.apache.servlet.ssi.SSI.initArgs=SSISiteRoot=[siteroot]

where [siteroot] is your DocumentRoot defined in apache's httpd.conf
</optional>

8) /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl restart (or wherever it is).

That's it.  You can now use JSSI with no problem.  Let me know if you still
can't get this to work - I've done it several times in the last few days.

Hope this helps

-Brett