I am using the queryparser to search for names.

If I search for: john j*
I'd expect to get everybody called john j-something. john johnson,
john joe doe ect.
Instead I just all john and joes. In many of the hits there is not
second j-word.

Is there a way to get lucene to get "satisfied" after matching "john"
and then require a second j-word to return a match for j*

The error might be on my end though.
If I have the same person registered as "john carlson" and "john doe carlson"
I add both values to the name field -- could that be it? If that is so
I wouldn't expect lucene to return the hit if I search for e.g. "john
joh* jo*" ?

At least I'd like to boost the ranking of the results that match
better. Right now "john j*" gives me john thompson as the top hit even
though there are heaps of john johnsons.

I hope you can point me in the right direction.
Thanks

/Lasse

My query parser code looks like this:
                    QueryParser parser = new QueryParser(field, _analyzer);
                    parser.setOperator(QueryParser.DEFAULT_OPERATOR_AND);
                    parser.setLocale(new Locale("DA", "dk"));
                    Query q = parser.parse(value);
                    query.add(q, required, false);