: : I wasn't expect addDocument to close it.
: :  I am wondering if there is a reason that rdr should be
: : closed after addDocument, and if there is a way to leave it open ?

: What stops you from using the reader before you add the document to the

That doesn't really help people who want to use the same reader for two
different fields (ie: with different analyzers)

I've never accutally used a Field based on a Reader, so it's never occured
to me to wonder who is responsible for closeing the reader -- I agree,
it's strange, and not what i would have expected either.

Looking at the code, it seems really hairy.  I can't see any actual
garuntee that any Reader (including the StringReaders opened under the
cover when you make a Field using a string) will/won't be closed -- if you
use an Analyzer that comes with Lucene, they all seem to use the Tokenizer
class (in one way or another) and *it* is what closes the Reader when it
gets .close()ed -- but there is no reason to believe that any existing of
future third party analyzer will use that class, the API just requires
that they provide a TokenStream (the superclass).  TokenStream's .close()
is abstract, so people are free to write Analyzers that don't close the
Reader's they get.

I can't think of any clean way to change this without causing lots of
backwards compatibility problems for lots of people.