Wouldn't this be a good case for the JarDirectory implementation
somebody asked for?
The index could then be statically written in a jar file downloaded
with the applet (the original mail refers to static offline HTML
files).

It could even be a great idea for improving the Maven site-plugin :-)
[I mean: when you create the Maven generated site a Lucene based
plugin could index it, create the jar index and then add the "applet"
to the Maven pages]