Hey Dolf.

On Feb 20, 2006, at 12:11 PM, Trieschnigg, R.B. ((Dolf)) wrote:

Hi Paulo,

The main problem is that Lucene needs to store its index on a disk which under normal circumstances an applet may not read. The applet operates in a sandbox, which only allows "safe" operations. Reading and writing to disk is not allowed. An applet can only get resources from the host it came from. As Lucene does not allow an IndexReader to be created for a URL, I guess it's not possible in a normal applet environment. Or you should dive into the IndexReader code an write your own IndexReader for remote indices.

What you can also do is sign your applet; if a user accepts your applet as safe you can run it as any other Java application (download the index from a webserver to a temporary location and query it for example). But I am usually quite sceptic with accepting signed applets from unkown distributors; as it is like leaving your door open for complete strangers ("of course you may delete all my files on disk").

Are you going to put your applet on a website, or do you want to distribute it on e.g. a cd? If I would buy some software from you on a cd, I would more likely accept a signed applet than if I would visit some obscure homepage.

Not on a website, I want to distribute it on a cd only. It will be part of the local installation of the software.

Paolo

Regards,
Dolf

-----Original Message-----
From: paolo berto [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: maandag 20 februari 2006 11:44
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: webserverless search with lucene on offline HTML doc

Hello,

I would like to figure out if it is possible to write a java
applet able to search with lucene through an HTML
documentation WITHOUT having a webserver installed on the
system and on multiple platforms.

So I have a set of static offline HTML files forming a
software documentation, would like to index it and search
through it from a browser without having to install a web
server and on various platforms (osx/win32/linux) Is that
possible at all?

Thanks and sorry for the basic question,

paolo